Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Our Place in the World


I saw the idea for our location nesting boxes on First Grade to the Core, but I hadn't thought much more about it until I saw some nesting rubbermaid containers with pretty rainbow colored lids at Walmart.


They were perfect for this activity, and although my kids are not in first grade, I think they should know where they live.  I had 7 boxes, so for ours I made one for our planet, our continent, our country, our state, our county, our city, and our house.


I also put a picture leading to the next box inside each box. Inside the one with the earth I placed a labeled picture of all the continents.

Outside
Inside
 Inside the one with North America I put a labeled picture of the countries.

Outside

Inside
In the United States one I put a picture labeled with the states.

Outside

Inside
And so on until I got to our house.  In the box of our house I put our address and phone number. I laminated all the inside pictures and covered the outside pictures with packing tape.  Hopefully they won't be torn up too easily.  And they all nest together to demonstrate how one is inside another (and for easy storage).



The girls know where we live to the city level, but they frequently mix up words like country, state, and city.  I am hoping with some work this will help clarify things for them, and they will learn their address too!