Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark



I found this recipe on Mama Say What when looking for something relatively easy (and yummy) to take to Thanksgiving.  I am not a fan of a lot of traditional Thanksgiving desserts (anything with pumpkin), so I like to have something with chocolate present!  This recipe was really yummy, but very bad for your teeth! But still, it was really good....

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Ingredients:

1/2 bag mini pretzel twists
2 sticks of butter (I doubled this)
1 C brown sugar (doubled this too)
1 bag chocolate chips
Sea salt

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Line a large baking sheet (with sides) with aluminum foil and lay down a layer of pretzels.  This was a good job for Bria since she always wants things just so!


In a saucepan on medium, melt butter and brown sugar stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Allow mixture to boil (I stirred it occasionally) until it thickens a bit.  I ended up doing this twice.  The first time it took a long time because I was worried about it sticking to the pan and stirred it too much.  The second time it really didn't take long at all.


Once thickened pour over your pretzels.  This is why I had to double my butter and sugar and go through the previous step twice.  The first time it came no where near to covering the pretzels! Maybe I didn't pour it slow enough, maybe spooning it on would have been better, but I just added more! Maybe that was why it was so bad for my teeth!



Stick in your preheated oven for about 5 minutes. remove and sprinkle on chocolate chips.


Stick back in the oven for a minute.  When you remove it the chips will be warm, so you can spread them around.


Allow to cool a few minutes at room temperature and then stick in the freezer for a couple hours.  Once it is solid you can break it apart and enjoy!  In fact we ate almost all of it before I thought to get a picture of the finished product!



This candy is a great combination of salty and sweet, and the pretzels stay crunchy! Yum, yum!