Sunday, November 4, 2012

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas

I came across a recipe for BBQ Chicken Enchiladas on How Sweet It Is a few months ago and was intrigued.  I tried them, and I thought they were ok, but Nathan didn't care for them at all.  He wanted corn tortillas, no onions (he isn't an onion fan), and just something more.  That was alright, I made them according to the recipe once; now I could change them!  So here is what I came up with:

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:

white corn tortillas (I think I used around 20)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
30 oz enchilada sauce
1/2 C BBQ sauce
BBQ seasoning (to taste)
Mexican seasoning (to taste)
2 T olive oil
Colby Jack cheese, shredded
Cheddar cheese, shredded

(If you want to add onions I would cook them in the oil before the chicken.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large skillet, heat olive oil.  Add chicken. Season with BBQ and Mexican seasoning.


While that is cooking, mix together enchilada sauce and BBQ sauce.

Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan and shred; return to pan.



Add around 1/2 to 3/4 C of sauce to pan and mix with chicken. Not sure why i don't have a picture of this, but you want enough to coat the chicken without it swimming in sauce.

Warm up a small skillet to fry your tortillas.  Heat each tortilla until bubbly.

Not bubbly.

Bubbly.
Coat in sauce.


Place on greased baking sheet and fill with chicken mix.


Repeat until you are out of chicken.


Now if you have kids they get to help with the cheese (mine like to sprinkle cheese).  Sprinkle both types of cheese over the enchiladas.



Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yum!


These should freeze well too although I haven't tried it.