Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Does it Float or Sink?

     Eli got a water table for his birthday; thank you Grandma and Grandpa. This addition immediately got me thinking of fun, new experiments we could do. Of course he just loves splashing in it as is too.  The first few times the kids played with it were fairly uneventful. Then I attempted to be productive while they played with it.  They sounded quite happy while I tried to help the overgrown flower beds.  Until I look over to a water table full of muddy water! Both girls (under Bria's guidance) had carried dirt from a near by flower bed over to the water table.  Everything was filthy! However Bria did inform me that dirt sinks, so that is where today's experiment started.


    Today we put various items in the water table to see if the would sink or float.  I told each of the girls to go find some objects they wanted to test, and I grabbed a few things too.  Before we placed the item in the water I asked the girls if they thought it would sink or float, and they got a lot of the right.  I say I asked before, but sometimes it was more like as they put it in the water. They just couldn't wait to test something else.  Their selection of items was pretty funny though. Bria chose several different items including poker chips, a wooden block, squinkies, and a car; while Nadia chose 4 different 
My Little Ponies and a dice.  I included marbles, marshmallows, dry, hollow noodles, apple slices, and packing peanuts.  We threw some grass and tree bark in as well while we were outside.

What floated: marshmallows, apple slices, wooden block, packing peanuts, My Little Ponies (all of them; doesn't matter which one it is), tree bark, and grass.


Bria thought the marshmallow would sink,
so she kept trying to push it to the bottom.

Eli trying to catch the marshmallow.

Apple slices float!

Eli just wanted to eat them.

Wood blocks float!  The girls were
expecting it to sink.
So do packing peanuts!

What sunk: marbles, noodles, poker chips, squinkies, dice, and the toy car.


Dice sink.

So do squinkies.

And poker chips although Nadia
thought they would float. 

Hollow noodles sink, and both of
the girls expected them to float.

     In the end the girls really didn't do too bad with their guessing.  The experiment quickly turned into Eli splashing in the water and the girls playing with ponies.