Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sight Word Treasure Hunt

Last year for Talk Like a Pirate Day, the kids got all dressed up like pirates and followed a map of our yard (while practicing gross motor skills) to find treasure. This year the girls informed me that dressing and talking like a pirate was scary. Ooooook....so I found a new take on the treasure hunt for them, a Sight Word Treasure Hunt. 


I started with yellow baked cotton balls with sight words written on them (yes I saved these from our Turkey Feeding last year). I placed a winding trail of them them throughout the yard leading to pirate treasure!


When I brought the girls out I told them some pirates had been there and left behind a trail of gold that may lead them to pirate treasure. 


They would have to follow the trail to find the pirate treasure, but in order to move on they would first have to read the word on the gold piece.


They had to be quick to keep Eli from grabbing them all before the trail was gone!  He was so sad when  he found one, and I wouldn't let him grab it! Bria had to help with a few of the words, but between them both they made it to the treasure!


They were all pretty excited to get some of those little gold and silver treasure chests! 



They all enjoyed sampling the pirate booty, and Talk Like a Pirate Day continued without the "scary" pirate garb!