Thursday, September 19, 2013

ABC Bible Verses



Over the past year we have been going through a Bible verse for each letter of the alphabet. We got a bit behind over the summer, and I am sure we have forgotten a few, so I think we will be starting over. I did want to make sure I got our list of verses to you all in case you wanted to follow along!


A: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

B: "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

C: "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit in me."  Psalm 51:10

D: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31

E: "Every good and perfect gift is from above." James 1:17

F: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

G: "God is our refuge and strength and ever present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

H: "He alone is my rock and my salvation."

I: "In all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:6

J: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8

K: "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." Psalm 34:13

L: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul..." Mark 12:30

M: My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him." Psalm 62:1

N: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

O: "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you." Psalm 63:1

P: "Praise the Lord, Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 106:1

Q: "A Quiet spirit is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:4

R: "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice." Philippians 4:4

S: "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

T: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

U: "Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it. "Proverbs 16:22

V: "Very truly I tell you the one who believes has eternal life." John 6:47

W: "Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8

X: "Let us eXamine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord." Lamentations 3:40

Y:  "You are the light of the world." Matthew 5:14

Z: "Zion hears and rejoices." Psalm 97.8

I created posters which I stick in a page protector and hang on our bulletin board while we are memorizing them. What I found best for helping the girls memorize verses is to have them repeat every couple words to start; then again having them repeat longer sections until they can say the whole verse. They can usually get them fairly quickly (within a week), but I haven't found a good way to get them to commit them to long term memory. Any tips on that are welcome!

I have also included the below link to download the posters we used on our bulletin board; nothing fancy, but you are welcome to use them in your home. 

  Bible Verse Posters
*By downloading you are agreeing to these Terms of Use.

When we went over the verses I also used the Handwriting Worksheet Maker to create worksheets for the girls to copy the verses.

To go along with each letter we also colored and discussed a picture from Pondered in My Heart focusing on a biblical virtue.