Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Glass" Sculptures



Bria was so intrigued by all the sculptures we saw on our recent trip to Indianapolis, especially the large lass sculpture in the middle of the Children's Museum.  The sculpture entitled "Fireworks of Glass" is 43 feet tall rising up 3 stories in the museum.  In the basement you can see the ceiling of glass underneath it.




 You can also create your own masterpiece using their plastic pieces.  Bria even had all the kids working on one piece for a while.


 I figured we could make something on a much smaller scale that would be similar to those large pieces. Initially, I was looking for light brite pegs to use as glass pieces, but couldn't find any around here.  I did find something I thought would work much better though.....silly straws! The clear, colored plastic in unique shapes would resemble the actual glass pieces much better. I did buy some bright colored play dough to match the straws too.


 I bought a few packages and went home to do some cutting.  Using my animal nail clippers I cut each straw into 4 or 5 pieces.



I did save a couple for the girls to use, but really, who wants to clean these things ever!


The girls had a good time building and rebuilding their sculptures.  They tried sculptures of all one shape or all one color, but they always ended up mixed together.










Aren't they pretty! We are thinking of making them permanent by using the oven bake clay, baking it without the straws in it (just the holes), and then adding the straws!