Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Coffee Filter Jellyfish



I saw these cut jelly fish on Tippytoe Crafts a few months ago and decided to make them in honor of Nadia's upcoming mermaid party.  Kids do a craft, and we get party decorations; seemed like a good plan to me.

We started by coloring on coffee filters with markers. Nothing special, just markers. Nadia kept getting frustrated and said they were bad jellyfish because they kept making bumps.



The we layer them on top of a second, uncolored coffee filter and sprayed them with water.  I found these cute little spray bottles thinking they would've easy for the girls, but they actually ended up being too hard for them to use.  We got the filters pretty wet to make sure the colors would transfer to the one below.






After the filters dried, the girls glued streamers (cut in half lengthwise) to one of the filters in each pair.




I the glued the pairs together sticking a little bit of toilet paper in the center to give it some dimension.


The whole time we were making these I figured I would hang them randomly from our ceiling.  Never once did it occur to me that I couldn't easily reach the 12 foot ceilings! So they were hung with a little bit of thread from light fixtures instead.