Sunday, March 3, 2013

Snow Maze



We have had A LOT of snow around here recently.  At our house it is up to my knees!


The kids have all enjoyed playing in it, but now looking at our yard, all you see is a MESS.



Or if you are me you see a MAZE. A snow maze just like a corn maze; that would be fun.  I was picturing building up huge walls of snow for my kids to run through and get lost in, but was met with opposition from my husband. "Our snow is too packed and won't make a good maze," he told me. So we have to find new snow, untouched snow, Grandma's snow! 

Out at Grandma's I (eventually) convinced Nathan to go out and make a maze for the girls. But the snow was not as deep there; there would be no way to make high walls on the maze (without tons of work). So he started by shoveling a bit out of the path and then went to just packing it down as he walked. (Much easier then my plan.)



 Between Nathan, Uncle Sean, and Grandpa, we had a good size maze (bigger then I expected) in a little over an hour. (I couldn't even fit the whole thing in one picture!)



Once they were finished we put two huge icicles at the beginning and let the girls go through.  The first time through they had some adult help, but after they were more comfortable, they were willing to go on their own.





 Even Eli wanted to try! The first time through he had some help too, but he still made a lot of wrong turns. He also didn't see the point of staying on the path when he could easily make his own. 


Overall they had a good time trying to find their way through the maze. Even though it wasn't exactly how I pictured, it was still pretty awesome! What have you been doing with snow?